The pea shoots in the ground at my plot are looking a little dog-eared; I’m pretty sure it’s slug damage. And now that I have a raised bed, I have a good way to test out copper slug tape. So I bought two rolls yesterday, at $8.50 a pop. (They are cleverly sold in 15-foot rolls, so that those following the Square Foot method to a tee with a 4′x4′ bed, like me, will have to buy two rolls.) It was easy to apply and it looks nice:
Sugar, I hope it works. The next time I see a slug, I’m going to subject it to a hands-on experiment, camera in hand. I have no idea what it does to them. Neville suggested that it might be like when you have metal fillings and you chew aluminum foil. (He said with a wry look, “Yeah, I have tried it. It just feels wrong.”) It’s rumored to be more effective than beer traps, because beer lures slugs to your plot, killing most, sure, but why attract any in the first place? Anyway, I’m glad for an alternative; At first, it was purely satisfying to catch the slimers, but it got old and disgusting very quickly.
Now, ants. Since supplementing my tomato plants with milk, something I did only once and will never do again indoors, I have noticed ants around the windowsill. A family friend of ours told us to set out a saucer of sugar mixed with borax. Ants are lured in by the sugar, eat the borax, as well, and that does some evil to them. My hunch is that borax is more like baking soda than bleach, on the scale of toxic stuff, so it probably kills the ants by expanding in their stomachs. Oy. I set out a mixture near the nexus of the ant highway and, again, have been trying to subject an ant to a direct test…but now that I have written what I think is the mechanism of its action, I don’t think I want to see a play-by-play.
That’s all I’ve got for insect control right now. Will report back if I see anything happen.
Live action update here.